Linking Aadhar card with Phone Number: Introduced in India on 28th January 2009, an Aadhar card, to put it simply, is a unique identity card granted to all Indian citizens above the age of 3, including non-Indian residents (NRI). This identity card contains a 12-digit unique number called the aadhar number based on the individual’s specific biometric and other personal data.
Reasons to link your mobile phone number to your Aadhar card
The Aadhar card is not merely an Identity card. It benefits the holder in many different ways, including availing any kind of government subsidies and facilitating the acquisition of a passport and even in opening a bank account more accessible, for it contains many relevant personal details- from one’s photograph to one’s address proof.
Linking your Aadhar card with your mobile phone number is no longer mandated by the government of India per recent Supreme Court rulings and judgments. Still, in linking them, one helps the cybercrime department trace the original defaulter in any fraudulent activity.
Linking the two would also help you with processes like updating your residential address online, getting a new PAN card, EPE claims, as well as downloading a soft copy of your Aadhar card on your phone, which comes in very handy in some situations, like when you need to update your mobile phone number in numerous places.
Ways to link your Aadhar card to your phone number
Activating a new mobile phone number
First and foremost, you obviously need a mobile phone and a number for it to function. If you’ve never had a mobile phone before and only recently got one, and want to get it linked to your Aadhar card, follow the steps mapped below –
- Visit your nearest mobile operator’s store.
- Request for a new connection/sim.
- Provide a self-attested copy of your Aadhar card.
- Scan your fingerprint to verify aadhar.
- A new sim would be issued once this verification process is complete, and your new mobile phone number will be active in an hour.
To link your Aadhar card to this new mobile phone number, follow directions given below.
Linking your Aadhar card to an existing mobile phone number
Now that you’ve acquired a functional mobile phone number follow the steps given below –
- Visit your nearest telecom operator’s shop.
- You will be asked to provide a self-attested copy of your Aadhar card.
- Provide the mobile phone number that needs to be linked.
- The store will send an OTP to your provided number.
- This OTP needs to be provided to the executive for verification.
- Your fingerprint will be taken for further aadhar verification.
- A confirmation SMS from your telecom operator will be received by your reply ‘Y’ to complete the e-KYC process.
Linking your Aadhar card to your mobile phone number via OTP
Note that this method of re-verification is only for those who have linked their mobile phone numbers to the Aadhar card before. If your mobile phone number is yet to be linked to the Aadhar number, you need to follow steps mentioned above to get your mobile phone number linked to your Aadhar card
- From the mobile phone number, you want to get registered call 14546*.
- Choose whether you are an Indian resident or an NRI.
- Press 1 to give your consent for the re-verification of aadhar.
- Enter your unique 12-digit aadhar number and press 1
- A system-generated OTP will be sent to your registered mobile phone number.
- Give consent to your operator to access your details (name, photo, Date of Birth) from UIDAI.
- IVR will read the last four digits of your mobile phone number.
- Enter the received OTP only if the number is correct.
- To finally complete the process, press 1.
Updating the mobile phone number linked to your Aadhar card online
The following steps are for the customers who have a mobile phone number linked to their Aadhar card but now want to update the Aadhar card with their new mobile phone number.
- Visit the official aadhar portal https://ask.uidai.gov.in/.
- Log in by either entering your Aadhar card number or by entering your previously linked mobile phone number.
- Crosscheck the details and captcha and click on send OTP.
- Enter the received OTP and click on submit OTP.
- The following window will show you your aadhar details; click on update aadhar.
- From the different fields (e.g., name, number), select mobile phone number.
- The next screen will tell you to verify your details and send you another OTP.
- Once you verify and submit the OTP, your Appointment will be booked to the aadhar enrolment center.
- Visit the center at your given time slot. A biometric verification will be done, and your new mobile phone number will be updated.
Important things to note
- A self-attested photocopy of your Aadhar card accompanied by your original Aadhar card is an essential document in buying a new sim card.
- In case of updating the mobile phone number or re-verification of the existing mobile phone number, always keep the mobile handy for a smooth process of receiving and entering the OTP.
- In all situations of linking or updating, the original owner should always be present for the biometric verifications.
- The whole process takes up to 90 days, i.e., the mobile phone number gets updated roughly after 90 days after the request has been made.
Frequently Asked Questions
- If I have bought 2 different numbers and given my aadhar as my address proof and my biometric verification has also been done, will both of them get linked to my Aadhar card?
No. First of all, multiple numbers cannot be linked to a single aadhar number, but a mobile phone number can be linked to various Aadhar cards. The Aadhar card, a proof that the executive asks while a new mobile phone number is purchased, is solely for verification purposes as it contains your verified photo address proof and age.
- Is the verification process the same for both post-paid and prepaid subscribers?
Yes, the process of linking is the same for both prepaid and post-paid customers. The minor difference is that the prepaid users need to visit the retailer, whereas the post-paid users need to visit the store of their service provider.
- What is the amount of fees charged for the linking and updating process?
There are no charges for registering/linking your mobile phone number with your Aadhar card, but in case of updating or changing any demographic information, including your mobile phone number, a fee of Rs50 is charged.